Monday, January 24, 2011

Ambiguity/Correct position of the Modifier

While I was reading news on the online version of a popular national English daily the other day, my attention was caught specially by the following headline of a news item:-

Tens of prisoners shot in Tunisia jail escape

Such heading immediately led me to think, "There are tens of prisoners shot in Tunisia jail but they escape."

After I had gone through the news in full, I realized that was not the intended meaning. The gist is in the word 'escape' which was treated as a verb in my earlier interpretation.

The writer has used it as a noun in the intended meaning. Of course, the ambiguity can be done away with if the modifier is placed in front: In Tunisia jail escape tens of prisoners shot.

This is the main reason that to avoid ambiguity, modifiers must be placed in their correct positions in any phrases/clauses/sentences.

No comments:

Google