Monday, September 15, 2008

Subject-verb disagreements






Environment requires a clean-up frequently and so do publications that constantly contain grammatical errors.






Major powers’opposition to trade talks are too strong.

The rising violent, sexual crimes against children in the country is alarming.

The by-election will be a close call and the hostilities on nomination day was a sign of how serious both parties are about taking the seat.

The above sentences are taken from a same national English daily on three different days. All the subject-words and verbs are highlighted to enable easy detection of the therein-contained grammatical mistakes which are somewhat concealed by the enlargements of the subject-words. Obviously, the verb-choices must have been erroneously based by the writers on the nouns immedately preceding the chosen verbs.

Such mistakes which are called 'subject and verb disagreements' are very frequently seen in its publications which should need a clean-up to achieve the first step towards good writings.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may not remember. Involve me and I'll understand.
-- Native American Proverb

No comments:

Google