Monday, March 2, 2009

Strange constructions or just slips in editing/typesetting





Following the correct route will ensure early arrival at the desired destination.






(1)Of course, I’m happy that my job takes me round the world, but I miss not having my family with me.

(2)We are now aware of the important of respecting intellectual property and of using licensed software in our business.

The above two sentences appear in a very popular national English daily with (1) in a column promoting the correct use of English and (2) in a notice/advertisement.

When we say we miss something, we are not having that something. Sentence (1) should have been, "Of course, I’m happy that my job takes me round the world, but I miss having my family with me." Or, it can be simply refined to be, "Of course, I’m happy that my job takes me round the world, but I miss my family."

The use of 'important' which is an adjective is inappropriate in sentence (2). The noun 'importance' is required in its stead, and the sentence should have been, "We are now aware of the importance of respecting intellectual property and of using licensed software in our business."

An accomplishment sticks to a person.
-- Japanese Proverb

No comments:

Google