Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Causative form and possessive case



A good article showing how the above are to be used
MIND OUR ENGLISH



Wednesday September 19, 2007
Fun with grammar
By OH TEIK THEAM
LOOK at these little ‘stories’ and see if you can find a mistake in each of them:
The operation
“The surgeon made me laughed during my operation.”
“Really?”
“Yes, he had me in stitches!”
The first sentence should read: “The surgeon made me laugh during my operation.”
Certain causative verbs (make, let, have, etc.) take the bare infinitive. The causative verb is used when someone or something causes another person or thing to do something.
He let me join his group.
I had Lee wash my car.
The cold made me shiver.
(Make takes a to-infinitive in the passive voice: She was made to do it.)
Causative verbs can be used in a form similar to the passive:
My car was washed. (passive)
I had my car washed. (causative)
Some causative verbs require to-infinitives:
I told him to wash my car.
I got him to wash my car.
I persuaded him to wash my car.
Ref: www.answers.com
The ranch
The little boy had just returned home after spending a week at his aunt’s and uncle’s ranch. “Mum,” he said excitedly, “I even saw a man who makes horses.”
“Are you sure?” asked the mother, puzzled.
“Yes,” he replied. “I couldn’t believe my eyes. He had a horse almost completed when I saw him, and he was just nailing on the feet.”
At his aunt’s and uncle’s ranch should be at his aunt and uncle’s ranch. If two (or more) nouns or names have joint possession, only the second (or the last) noun or name takes the possessive form.
If the possession is separate, each noun or name takes the possessive form. (Partridge)
David, Jenny and Debra’s father have written a book.
Lauren and Emily’s joint birthday party will be held this Saturday.
John’s and Gary’s birthdays both fall in December.
He invited his son’s and daughter’s friends to the party.
The cat’s and dogs’ names were given by me. Source:StarTwo

No comments:

Google