Monday, February 4, 2008

Then/than and been/being



I’D LIKE to have your clarification on the following questions: 1) I read this in The Star:
“Her studies have always being foremost in her mind even when she was in critical condition at the Selayang Medical Centre In Kuala Lumpur.”
Is it correct to use “being” instead of “been”?
The above is the question posted by Mohd Fuad Jalil, Meru and published by THE STAR’S MIND OUR ENGLISH OF MARCH 1, 2007 (in which a good many other questions have been asked and very well answered/clarified vide http://thestar.com.my/english/story.asp?file=/2007/3/1/lifefocus/16964062&sec=lifefocus).
No. You are right. The clause should read “Her studies have always been foremost in her mind ...” answered By FADZILAH AMIN.
The above has reminded me of my writing to and published by THE STAR’S MIND OUR ENGLISH on June 29, 2006 which is reproduced below:-
Quote
Then/than and been/being
I have seen my son (who has BSc (NZ) and MBA (UK) degrees) misusing “then” for “than” and “been” for “being” quite often in his writings.
Such misuses, I thought, were peculiar habits of my son only. To my surprise, I have noticed others falling into the same traps in the following two sentences appearing in The Star of June 13:
1) However, this presumption is today more fiction then reality (in Articles of Law).
2) Even those one or two employees whom I rated as “must keep and groomed” for the future of the company are now been “cold storaged” and had the annual increments of their salaries reduced or frozen” (in “Opinion” page).
Obviously, then should be than which reflects comparison as intended, while being is the present participle required in the second sentence.
Apart from their uses (which have become obsolete) in Old English, then is shown in any dictionary to have quite a number of meanings, none of which is intended to be used in the above sentence and been (which is the past participle of be) can be used with the four types of the perfect tenses as in “has/have been” (present perfect), “had been” (past perfect), “will/shall have been” (future perfect) and “would/should have been” (future perfect in the past). – Kengt, Penang
Unquote

No comments:

Google